Sunday 30 March 2014

The Phantom of the Opera (March 28th, 2014)

The Phantom of the Opera
The Dream Cast Edition

I wasn't originally intending to write anything about this show as I wanted to just sit back and enjoy, so I didn't take mental notes the way I usually do. So I'm going totally off memory right now; just some things that stand out. 

This was, without a doubt, the best show I'd ever seen. It was my dream cast, for one, a perfect combination I never thought would happen, as it's a mix of understudies, alternates, and principles. I had my favourites in every single principle and supporting role, and I doubt this will ever happen again. I was a bit worried that after building up this idea of perfection in my head, the result would disappoint me. Thankfully, it was better than I could ever have imagined. I don't want to say it was flawless technically, because it wasn't, but I love little mistakes. But it was so energetic! Everyone was just so into it; all of the characters seemed so real, the emotion and expression was spot on. I'm getting teary just thinking about it. 

To keep it simple, I'm just going to talk about each person/character individually, mostly in point-form-ish notes. If it's something that involves more than one person, it's just going to go with whoever I feel like putting it with. 

Geronimo Rauch (Phantom) - His energy is back! Missed it the last time and glad it was back for this show. Big, powerful voice. Some trouble with the accent in the Final Lair. Overdoes the heavy breathing and writhing during Point of No Return. Great, great acting in the Final Lair though. Loved the kiss, and loved the choking Christine thing. I wasn't sure about it the first few times, but it's growing on me. It's seriously creepy, but it works. Olivia and Antony's reactions to this are perfect.  

Olivia Brereton (Christine) - I'm sort of out of words for Olivia. She's just so perfect in this role. I'd never really paid much attention to her during PONR for whatever reason, but she really does that song well! Great expressions, great use of body language and movement. I like that she's not quite so… touchy-feely (for lack of a better term) as Harriet. It was the balance between fitting the song, but still being appropriate for Christine. Wishing as usual was flawless. Her version of that song kills me every time (in a good way). Final Lair was spectacular; I still LOVE what she does with the "lust for flesh" and the Phantom's subsequent line; after she's heard his response, there's sort of this "Oh crap, what did I just do!" look on her face. Also love the fearless defence of Raoul. Anyway, don't think anyone wants another soliloquy so I'll wrap it up there, but Olivia is brilliant as Christine. I will never be tired of seeing her. 

Antony Hansen (Raoul) - Superhero Raoul! Very powerful, commanding stage presence, but also very attentive to Christine. It's obvious he cares about her very much, whereas some other Raouls come off as more self-obsessed. The heroic dive into the lake, the attempt to go after the Phantom when he gets into the lair, and fighting the noose (WOW that was scarily impressive. I was actually very concerned about him for a while; it took me a bit to remember that it was acting) all added to the Superhero image. Great performance; I love him and Olivia together. They're a very strong pair (that AIAOY kiss was…erm… passionate!), and I think they respond very well to each other.

Layla Harrison (Meg) - LAYLA-MEG! Same as Olivia, no more words for Layla. She's sublime. Love her during Notes/Prima Donna. Her expressions are brilliant; I love that her Meg is almost sassy in the way she reacts to Carlotta's being a complete diva. At one point, she backed up dramatically during the most obnoxious diva-moment. I loved it. It's just so Meg. I love that Layla's Meg has a big personality. She's just so expressive! Anyway, this might've been the last time I'll get to see Layla and Olivia together (unless it happens by luck or they both stay on; it's a good thing I realised this after I got back to the hotel or I would've been a wreck), and I'll very much miss it. The relationship between their two characters seemed stronger this time, which I loved. But the main point is: love Layla-Meg, she's practically perfect in every way. She adds so much dimension to the show. 

Lara Martins (Carlotta) - Lara was back in full force today; last time I saw her she was ill. Nice to see her Carlotta-attitude back on stage. 

Jeremy Secomb (Piangi) - I missed him! It's not that his cover isn't good, but Jeremy just draws out the comedic moments a lot longer and is good at reading the crowd's reaction to these moments, therefore being able to draw them out longer or finish, based on how the audience is taking them. 

Jacinta Mulcahy (Mme Giry) - She's settled nicely into the role without making it stale. Big voice, big stage presence. Love the contrast between her more muted portrayal and Layla's personality-filled Meg. 

No major bloopers this time, just Olivia having some scarf issues (how many ways can a scarf get caught on a person? Many, it seems) in Think of Me and Wishing. Not something anyone else would've noticed, I don't think. As usual, well handled. Hula Girl (ick) made an appearance during Masquerade again. Last time I saw Phantom from the front row, I really didn't connect to it at all, but this time was a totally different experience. I had so much fun at this show, and enjoyed it immensely. Can't wait to be back in less than a week, but it won't be the same without Layla-Meg :'( 

No comments:

Post a Comment