Wednesday 5 March 2014

Favourite Costumes - The Phantom of the Opera

So I've been into costume making lately (as you may be able to tell by Hannibear), so I thought I'd make a post with my favourite costumes in shows and why I like them. Starting with my favourite show, of course! I've tried to use recent West End pics when available, but some I couldn't find, so I had to make do. Enjoy!
(Not in order of favourite-ness)

Wishing Dress + Cloak
My absolute favourite costume in the entire show. I love the gorgeous shades of blue, the dress is so beautifully tailored, the red/blue contrast with the cloak and scarf is perfect - I just really like everything about this ensemble. One of these days (you know, when I'm a millionaire from all the books I've written) I'm going to have one made for myself, just so I can look at it all the time. The time I saw it up close (thank you, Harriet!) is one of the highlights of my life. That's not as sad as it sounds.

Meg Masquerade
Here's the catch… I only like Layla's version. Cat's is way to stiff and puffy around the skirt bit, and it looks like a really bad half-tutu. Layla's flows much more nicely. Also, I love the purply-pinky-red colour. It's really unique, and so pretty! I like that it still stands out on stage, even though it's not really bright or sparkly.












Angel of Music/Music of the Night
(sorry about the photo; 'twas the only one of the front I could find)
I love this; it's so elegant and simple. I have a skating dress modelled after it, I like it that much. I like that its shape suits all body types; it looks just as good on super-tall Olivia as it does on tiny Harriet. I also like that it matches the Degas tutu Meg is wearing in that scene, it connects the two (reminder that Christine used to dress like that too; an echo of her past). If you look at the back of the dressing gown, you'll see that it's all sparkly - I would kill to see that up close, but sparkles make this outfit all the more elegant.


 Hannibal
I LOVE the Hannibal slavegirl outfit! It's so swishy and bright and sparkly. It must be an absolute b-word to dance in (that thing is heavy) but it's so gorgeous. I love Christmas, so I love Christmas colours, so of course I love the red and green together. Red and gold and green and gold are also favourite combinations of mine, so all three together is beautiful. I like that it's bright without being obnoxious, and simple yet detailed at the same time. I'm not a huge fan of really busy costumes (eg. Meg Gypsy Girl). I also like that all the bodices are unique.

Butterfly
It usually looks more purple than green onstage, and I love purple. It's just really sparkly and twirly and I love the wings. I love anything that has things hanging from the arms/wrists; I think if the dancer has graceful arms it makes the costume look even more elegant. At the same time, it's kind of a playful costume. I don't really know how to describe it. I just like it a lot.
Triton Girl
Light blue/turquoise is another favourite colour of mine. Blue and  gold/silver is another favourite combination of colours. I love that this incorporates different shades. It's a really elegant, sophisticated costume, and really stands out against the mass of pinks/reds/blacks in Masquerade.












Aminta
I used to absolutely hate this costume. It was my least favourite in the entire show up until recently. But probably around November I started to appreciate the tailoring, the swishy-ness, the way it moves on stage - now I really like it. Actually, I really like when the actress just walks around because I like watching the dress swish. It's kind of mesmerising. It's just a really cool dress. I'd love to know what's under the skirt bit; how do they get it to 'swish' that much? Is it super heavy or is there some sort of hoop skirt underneath? Ah, the questions. I'm still not hugely fond of the colour (doesn't look good with some actresses' colouring - Sofia I'm looking at you. Not hugely fond of it on Anna, either) but I quite like it overall.





Degas Tutu
I love the silhouette of this (I pretty much love anything Degas in general), I like that they kept the colour and decoration simple. I also really like the dance the BGs do during Little Lotte/Angel of Music (hate that scene, so I always watch the dancing. If you haven't tried this, do. It's really cool. They replicate all these poses from Degas' work). Really I just like the simplicity of this outfit. It looks good on all the different body types (well, as different as 5'0"-5'4" ballet dancers can be), and I love the way the skirt falls. Simple but effective.
(also, hairbows. I love them with the curls. So darn beautiful; I wish my hair curled so I could replicate that look).








I also adore the Phantom's black cape (SPARKLY), but don't have a picture of it.

And now for some least favourites (not all. Just some):


Meg's Gypsy Girl
Ok, I do like the way the skirt moves on this one. But it's such a busy costume and it's on stage for so short a time… I don't know, I just think something simpler and less fussy would've been better. I don't passionately hate it, but it's not my favourite.











Star Princess
Again, I don't passionately hate it. Just not a fan. I don't love that the sleeves slip so far away from the dress (they're so floppy and the elastics on the current ones are dark brown… it looks awful). I also don't like that the bodice piece sticks out so much. It just looks weird. I wish the skirt on the West End ones was a little lighter and a little less orange. But I don't really dislike it, I just think there are a lot of improvements that could be made to it.












Goldfish
All I have to say is: that headpiece! Ew times a thousand. I pity the actress who has to wear that monstrosity. Goldfish don't have tails on their heads. Or whatever the heck that thing around the eyes is. I don't like how it looks, and it can't be uncomfortable. Fortunately this is not one of the standout costumes, so it doesn't bother me too much during the show.










I don't have pictures of these, but I also don't like the Gypsy Girl (Masquerade) or Triangle Girl (Masquerade). Gypsy Girl I just don't like the colouring or the wig. I'd prefer a longer wig, or take away the mask. It's just too much going on around the face. That shade of red just isn't my favourite. It kind of sucks because that's what Layla wears during Masquerade so I'm always looking at it. I wish she wore Butterfly or Triton. Triangle girl I think the criss-cross tights are very unflattering and make the actress look thicker than she is, and that skirt looks like it's made up of medieval codpieces.

And I have a passionate hatred for the Hula Girl outfit in Masquerade. It's not an attractive costume in design or construction, nor does it suit the occasion (or time period) at all. It's my pet peeve, and I'm very happy when it's not on stage. I just really, really hate it.

So ends my favourite/least favourite costumes in Phantom!

No comments:

Post a Comment