Sunday 16 March 2014

Matilda (March 16th, 2014)

Matilda
Hi all; just a quick little review since I saw a new Matilda, and because it was an interesting show.

Tasha Chapple as Matilda
The new Matilda (or Newtilda, if you will) was Tasha Chapple. This was only, I think, her second performance. Since it was an early performance, then she can only get better. And that is saying something. The only thing I think she needed to improve upon was her facial expressions during the first act (particularly Naughty). With Naughty, she was singing her way through the song, not acting it, and didn't quite have the dance moves down yet. But that will come with practice. She has a very strong voice; not just her singing, but she enunciates beautifully, and her voice travels very well. You could hear everything she was saying perfectly (when I saw Lollie I found I was missing half of what she said). She was a bit shaky on "Anymore" in Quiet; she had the note, but she didn't look or sound too sure of herself. But again, that will come with practice. Her second act acting was a huge improvement, and there were flashes of potential in the first act; the hug with Mis
s Honey was very well done. She sort of paused, leaning forward, pulled back, and then just went for it. It was very effective. The other thing… she's not very small or vulnerable looking. If you've seen Matilda, you'd know there's that moment when Matilda is first revealed, and the audience all goes "Oh…" because she looks so small and pathetic. But Tasha didn't really give off that impression. She's taller than Lollie and Lottie but not that tall… not sure what it was. She just didn't look very vulnerable. But all in all, a very strong Matilda, who can only get better. 

I adore this Lavender, Emily Robins. She has so much energy, is so exuberant, and goes completely over the top, which helps Lavender to stand out from the other kids. Yes, Lavender is a completely obnoxious character, but Emily makes her hilarious as well. A very good performance from her. 

The temporary stopping of the show
Only other thing I want to mention about this show was the technical issues! Towards the end of "School Song"; mics seemed to be going in and out. Sometimes you could hear them, sometimes you couldn't. They finished the song, then the lights on the stage went back to normal and the kids were beckoned off the stage. Beautifully done; they marched right off, staying in character. The lights in the theatre stayed off, and the break lasted between five and ten minutes. Not a huge disruption, but by the time "Bruce" came around, the kids sitting near me were very restless. Later on in the show, during "Quiet", Matilda's stack of books didn't start rising when they were supposed to. It was only a few moments late, but still noticeable. Tasha handled it well; if you hadn't seen the show before you wouldn't've known. That's the other thing about Tasha; when she messed up a little bit, it didn't rattle her at all. She didn't rush to fix it; in that respect, she seemed very sure of herself.

Anyway, that's my review of Matilda. Based on Tasha and Lollie, the current Matildas are in great shape, so definitely recommend going and catching a show. 

5 comments:

  1. I was there yesterday too. The school song technical problem I think was that the gates didn't open as they should've. I think this is why they turned mics off when they did as at that point the gates should've opened and the desks should be rising. The delay only actually lasted about 4 minutes.

    I'd agree on the clarity of Tasha's delivery of lines. I also liked her take on a couple of bits where they all do them a bit different - including the reveal during My House when she sees what Miss Honey's holding (I won't mention what to avoid spoiling it for those who haven't seen it). Having now seen 16 different Matildas, although I never reveal my favourites/least favourites in public (as I don't think it's nice especially as even my least favourite is amazing and I'd have no hesitations seeing her again) I can say Tasha is a long way from the bottom of my "list"!
    The only actual mistake I noticed was where she walked off the stage at the end of the 2nd library scene, but she obviously realised and returned to the stage in time for the following classroom scene, so I doubt many people would have noticed anything wrong!

    I think it was William Price's 2nd show as Bruce too. I liked his take on the character, especially his disbelieving facial expressions when Matilda's saying her 2 times tables!

    It was actually Emily's - and all except 1 of the other kids - last show! She certainly has been a brilliant Lavender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nice to hear from someone who's seen the show more (this was only my 3rd) what the delay issue was. It was definitely at least 5 minutes; I turned my phone on and it said 33, and when I last looked at it before turning it off it was 39. I thought it was weird as mics weren't just turned off completely, they were going off and on a bit. But I guess that's their protocol.

      Going to miss Emily; she was just so entertaining! Great faces, energy - really talented kid. And Tasha was really good; I'd love to see her again, and some of the other new girls too. Sadly, I don't get to Matilda as often as I'd like too.

      Delete
    2. Have just checked (can't reveal my sources ;) ) It was exactly 4 mins 19 seconds from where it paused where it should continue (ie before the announcement) to restarting (after the 2nd announcement). The actual kids join in the singing with the adult kids at the point when the mics were going which I think is what gave the illusion of on/off (the last bit of singing was very audible but without mics).
      It actually happened again last Saturday evening although this time they didn't turn the mics off. Week of tech problems - glass didn't tip over on 1 of Weds 19th shows, and something went wrong with the blackboard (the end of spelling test scene) - bottom lines showing while top being written! - on last Saturday matinee! Strange as tech problems are quite rare in general on Matilda! Not that any of them spoilt my enjoyment!
      I've now seen the other new girls, and a lot of the other new kids, and they're all amazing!
      I get to Matilda more often than I should but I just can't stop!

      Delete
  2. I was there at the 19th March. Tasha had improved since 16th March I think. It wa perfect I think

    ReplyDelete