Saturday 13 December 2014

The Phantom of the Opera (December 13th, 2014)

The Phantom of the Opera

Just a quick little review of this show. Not too much to say so it'll be brief. I was having a costume nerding show, so lots of comments on that. 

Emmi has improved. Her voice seemed a bit tired, but I guess that's to be expected at the end of a 5-show marathon (there are alternates for a reason!). I'm not loving the cut of her Hannibal costume; it's got a very short bodice, but the back of the bodice comes down much farther (the sides hit just below her waist, the back is halfway down her behind). It just looks strange and unflattering. Speaking of which, Emmi looks so tall on stage, but she is teeny tiny in person. Her costumes just aren't cut in a way which flatters her (aside from the gowns; the Aminta dress is gorgeous on her, even if it clashes with her hair). Anyway, overall Emmi is an all-around decent Christine. She has some brief "Wow!" moments, and some brief "WTF?" moments, but all-together it's not necessarily bland, just… decent. Consistent. No character development and still some accent issues (on her Ws and Vs generally). I think her acting was really enhanced by playing opposite Layla Harrison's Meg; she responded more enthusiastically it seemed. Still not warming up to the blocking change in PONR though.

Geronimo also seemed rather lacklustre. Again, it was fine, but nothing extraordinary. In the past I've really loved his Phantom, but now I'm finding it rather tired. Not much else to say there. Same deal with Liam; I've said it all in past reviews.

Alicia's Meg is getting increasingly obnoxious. There's too much bug-eyed-edness (my website, I can make up words if I want), lots of big gasps every time someone said anything to her (as if every second of her life was surprising…), and a lot of pouting and silly faces. Singing voice still isn't there, but the volume is at least good. It's still worlds better than Broadway Megs, but I'm definitely aiming to see more of Layla's Meg (and Georgia's too if I can catch it). Was watching her Don Juan costume like a hawk for the replica I'm working on. The new skirt is fluffing gorgeous. Gold with sheer brown aprons - absolutely stunning.

Speaking of pretty costumes, I loved the swing on today's Hannibal Princess (she was in Lisa Anne Wood's track). Her costume fit so much better than LAW's, and the colours are just stunning. Also adore said swing's (no idea who... either Joanna O'Hare or Emma Barr; I'm inclined to think the former. Whoever it was did a nice mirror bride too) Don Juan costume. It's interesting seeing how they use similar laces but in different patterns to make the  dresses/different layers of the skirts all look so unique. Also love the Triton Girl costume (though not the wig); I used to not like the red tights but now I see why they work. 

I loved watching the ballets today! They were a mind-saver in an otherwise dull show. Hannibal was a bit annoying as from my angle I couldn't see Layla (boo :( ) so I watched who I think is Daisy, who I've seen bits of in the past - she's a gorgeous dancer, by the way. Probably next to Layla in terms of expression. Anyway, watching Daisy was a good idea, because I finally solved *dramatic drumroll please* the mystery of the Vanishing Ballet Girl! So, when there's an uneven number of ballet girls, there's this bit at the front they need an even number for. I've never been able to catch how once dancer just vanishes to even out the numbers for the rest of the song. So I was watching Daisy lead the group of four on the one side, and at one point, the entire group disappears behind the ensemble. When they reappeared, Layla was leading. So my theory is that Daisy (or whichever dancer) just keeps running off stage while camouflaged, and voila, mystery solved, happy me.

But as for the dancing in general, it was a bit of a jumble with a few dancers off, but I enjoyed it a lot anyway. Layla is so expressive in the most elegant way; whether it's Hannibal, Il Muto or Masquerade, she captures the character of the dance but maintains her own elegant style. I love it! As I said, I'm also enjoying Daisy (I really hope I'm getting her name right… it's one of the new girls!). She's a very cheerful dancer to watch; nearly always smiling, but not in a cheesy way. As mentioned previously, I also love Georgia's effortless flexibility (that penche in Degas!) and Danielle's elegance. Speaking of Degas, those tutus need to be deflated. Their puffiness is verging on the ridiculous. It makes beautiful, elegant dancers look like children playing dress up. Also not fond of the way the Hannibal tiaras are sitting lately. I do like Alicia's tiara though; I prefer that style to the almost Byzantine look they're going with now.  

That's pretty much it; relatively dull show, but I really enjoyed watching the dancing and finally getting to relax after exams!


No comments:

Post a Comment