Wednesday 31 December 2014

A Year In Review (My Theatre Highlights of 2014)

A Year in Review: 
My Theatre Highlights of 2014

I had a very interesting and eventful 2014; it didn't come in or go out on the best note, but there was lots of fun stuff in between! So here's a summary of my favourite moments at the theatre in 2014. I've tried to narrow it down to 2-3 per month, but it's hard when you spend as much time in a theatre as I do (also because my theatre visits tend to clump together; I see a pile of things in a short period of time, then nothing for a while)!

January
January 25th: Strangers on a Train
Starting off with a show I never got around to writing a review of. Despite originally going to see it because it had Anna O'Byrne in it, I really enjoyed this show, so much so that I saw it twice before it closed. Darkly entertaining, this Hitchcock-inspired play had a stellar cast and beautiful set and costume design. The script left something to be desired (the conclusion came on very abruptly with no logic or reason behind it), but overall, this was an excellent show, and I hope it returns to the West End soon. 

February
February 6th and 8th: Three shows in three days; double Olivia Brereton and triple Layla-Meg!
Not much needs to be said about this - a two show day of my favourite Christine and Meg? What's not to like? I had so much fun - as I nearly always do at Phantom - and I wish I could do it all over again! 

March
The Dream Cast!
March 28th: The Dream Cast! (Phantom of the Opera)
This show was an absolutely incredible experience. I've never been so engrossed in Phantom as I was that night, and it remains one of my favourite theatre experiences of all time. I'd planned it such that Olivia Brereton and Layla Harrison would be on, but a surprise appearance by Antony Hansen made the dream cast complete! This was also the first time something truly special happened during this show, and though it's happened many times since, the first is always the favourite :) Of course, as I've seen more people, other 'dream casts' have developed. But this will always be the Dream Cast, and it was a breathtaking experience that I will never forget. 

April
April 6th: Lest We Forget at the English National Ballet
I'd been dying to see an English ballet (the major European ballet companies are just worlds ahead of the North American ones) and this was the first ballet that came up that I could make it to. It was strange and more contemporary than I usually like, but I enjoyed it immensely and I wish it would be on again soon! The blend of four different pieces by different choreographers, yet all intertwined by the same theme, was beautiful.

May
May 18th: Playing Our Part
This was a truly unique event; an array of brilliant performers, a huge variety of songs, and the best audience (I ended up sat behind one of my favourite performers and in front of a "twitter friend" I hadn't properly met before - it was great!). I also got this photo with Olivia Brereton that makes me giggle every time. 

June
June 5th: Spent my birthday evening at my favourite place! Another show of Phantom of the Opera, of course ;-)
Despite feeling (and definitely looking) kind of icky, I had an amazing time at Phantom on my birthday. Harriet and Scott were at the best I'd ever seen them, and the show was just incredible. I enjoyed the show the subsequent two days, but the birthday show was of course the most special and most memorable :)

June 20th: Romeo and Juliet at the National Ballet of Canada
I had been dying to see this ballet since I first saw excerpts of Evgenia Obraztsova dancing it in a documentary. It was everything I could've hoped for - I laughed, I cried, and I had the most amazing time. Guillaume Cote and Elena Lobsanova played their characters with sensitivity and depth, and the whole performance was just right

July
I didn't actually see anything in July! There was no theatre or ballet on in Toronto in July or August, so by the time I got back to London at the end of August, I was feeling a bit theatre-deprived!

August
August 29th; with Layla Harrison
and Olivia Brereton
August 29-30th: The Cast Change shows at Phantom of the Opera (aka the day I spent stage door crying on various peoples' shoulders)
Not too much to say about this… it was sad, sure (I cried. A lot. Too much. I had to reapply my eye makeup four times on the Saturday night), but they were also three absolutely incredible shows that I enjoyed. Also saw lots of friends in the audience, met some lovely people, and all-in-all, I had a good time. It was definitely worth all of the tears, anyway ;)

September
September 1st: Debut of the new cast at Phantom of the Opera
Well, it's always interesting to see a brand new cast, especially on their first night. It's interesting to see how people have developed; some as expected, some a total surprise. It might not have been my favourite show ever, but the key word here is interesting.

October
Phantowe'en with Layla Harrison
October 18th: 2-show day at Phantom of the Opera with Layla Harrison as Meg!
It's Layla Harrison as Meg - what's not to like? She's absolutely stunning, and I was pleasantly surprised how charming a Meg/Christine pair she and Emmi were. 

October 31st: Phantowe'en Round 2!
It may not have been as good a show as the original Phantowe'en, but I still had fun and enjoyed dressing myself (and Purple!) up for the show! (Masquerade butterflies all the way!)

November
Complementary Champagne?
Don't mind if I do!
November 1st: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Unfortunately I have yet to review this show, despite having seen it twice. I'll have to make at least one more trip there before it closes in March, and I will definitely review it then. Anyway, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of my favourite shows. It's lighthearted, funny, and an all-around enjoyable experience. Doesn't hurt that I got free champagne (ok, so I don't drink alcohol, but I had fun taking selfies with the glass). Anyway, this show is always a good time, and I recommend it to all! 


December
December 15th: The Royal Ballet's Don Quixote at the Royal Opera House
So, I haven't reviewed this one yet, but I will! The outline is hanging out in my drafts folder. I loved Don Quixote. It was a bit acting- and scene/plot development-heavy (I prefer more actual dancing) but the superb technical skills of Marianela Nunez, the interesting choreography by Carlos Acosta, beautiful costumes and set design, and a fabulously entertaining score, this ballet is a must-see. 


December 16th: Urinetown
This satirical comedy is second only to the Book of Mormon. I had the best time at this show; the set was clever, the performances were strong, and while I found faults in the script and the tightness of the plot line, it didn't hinder the overall entertainment value of the show. 

December 17th: Lisa-Anne Wood as Christine in Phantom of the Opera
Two weeks later, I'm still thinking "WOW". Still also feeling very, very lucky that I caught Lisa-Anne by chance as I hadn't expected to see her Christine until the new year. Lisa-Anne was stunning; I haven't been that engrossed in a show since the last Layla-Meg (October!) and hadn't cried at Phantom since Olivia Brereton left. It was a nice final Phantom show of 2014 and the perfect way to end my theatre highlights of 2014!

I had a fabulous year in theatre - I laughed, I cried, I glared at noisy/texting audience members - what more could you ask for?! I'm looking forward to another great year of theatre and ballet in 2015!

Guillaume Cote and
Elena Lobsanova
Performers of the Year
Layla Harrison (Meg) - Phantom of the Opera
Olivia Brereton (Christine) - Phantom of the Opera
Lizzy Connolly (Jolene) - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Guillaume Cote (Romeo) - Romeo and Juliet

Shows of the Year
Romeo and Juliet (Ballet)
Phantom of the Opera
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Don Quixote (Ballet)


No comments:

Post a Comment