Wednesday 25 December 2013

My Phantom Christmas Special

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope everyone's had/is having an incredible Christmas! And if you don't celebrate Christmas, they I hope you have a lovely, relaxing day!

I wish I could get all of you Christmas presents (I do love getting people presents!) but logistically, that's impossible. So, my little 'Christmas Present' to all of you is in this post! Honestly, I'm not sure how much of a present it is, since it started out as a project for my own amusement, but I hope it's something you can all enjoy :) 

To begin with, my "Phantom of the Opera Christmas Awards"! It's all strictly my opinion, so of course everyone's free to disagree or add their two cents. It's also only based on the people I've seen (and remember!) live. If I haven't seen them, I can't put them on the list, no matter how good the reviews or bootlegs were/are. So there's not a lot of variety in the awards (it's basically the 2012/13 and 2013/14 London casts with a bit of Broadway 2013 thrown in). So, hope you enjoy :) 

The Phantom of the Opera Awards

The Phantom
Songs
Best Stranger Than You Dreamt It: Geronimo Rauch
Best Final Lair: Geronimo Rauch
Best Music of the Night: Geronimo Rauch
Best ‘Rooftop Angel’: Jeremy Secomb
Best voice: Geronimo Rauch
Character
Best Overall Characteriziation: Geronimo Rauch and Marcus Lovett
Most violent: Jeremy Secomb
Most manic: Jeremy Secomb
Creepiest: Geronimo Rauch
Craziest: Hugh Panaro
Misc./Fun Awards
Best Hands: Scott Davies
Saddest Final Lair: Geronimo Rauch

Christine
Songs
Best Think of Me Cadenza: Harriet Jones
Best Think of Me: Olivia Brereton
Best Serafimo: Anna O’Byrne
Best All I Ask of You: Anna O’Byrne and Olivia Brereton
Best Notes II/Twisted Every Way: Anna O’Byrne
Best Point of No Return: Anna O’Byrne, Harriet Jones, Olivia Brereton
Best Graveyard/Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again: Olivia Brereton
Best Voice (technical): Harriet Jones
Best Voice (characterization): Olivia Brereton
Character
Best Christine ‘look’: Harriet Jones
Most Child-like: Samantha Hill
Most Naïve: Sofia Escobar
Most Passionate: Anna O’Byrne and Olivia Brereton
Best Dancer: Anna O’Byrne
Misc./Fun Awards
Most likely to have a mishap with the veil: Olivia Brereton
Most likely to have a ripped Aminta dress: Olivia Brereton
Most likely to have a costume/prop mishap: Olivia Brereton
Prettiest wig: Harriet Jones

Raoul
Best All I Ask of You: Antony Hansen and Simon Thomas
Best Final Lair: Antony Hansen
Most Vain: Sean Palmer
Best at trying to protect himself from fireballs with a top hat: Sean Palmer
Most reckless: Antony Hansen
Best Final Lair Faceplant: Antony Hansen

Meg
Best Dancer: Layla Harrison
Best Voice: Layla Harrison
Best Characterization: Layla Harrison
Least Annoying Meg: Layla Harrison
Most Annoying Meg: Kara Klein
I could go on, but I think you get the point. I quite like Anna Forbes’ Meg as well, but Layla is just the best when it comes to Meg. 

Group Awards:
Best Angel of Music Trio: Anna Forbes, Olivia Brereton, Antony Hansen
Best Phantom/Christine Duo: Jeremy Secomb and Olivia Brereton
Best Christine/Meg Duo: Anna O’Byrne and Layla Harrison
Best Raoul/Christine Duo: Antony Hansen and Olivia Brereton
Best Andre/Firmin Duo: Andy Hockley and Martin Ball
Best Carlotta/Piangi Duo: Lara Martins and Jeremy Secomb

I can't really do a Carlotta section, as I've seen Lara 7 times and she's my only favourite. Only difference between her and Layla is that I've actually seen more than one other Meg that I remember, so I can more fairly say that Layla's the best at everything.

Now for my second section; a Phantom CD! The concept behind this is if I could arrange a Current London Cast Recording, who would do which songs. I've put understudies and covers in there as well, because if I got to make all the decisions, that's how I would have it. I didn't include the full company songs or the orchestra songs in this, just because their compositions are kind of a given. 

The Dress Rehearsal of Hannibal: Lara Martins, Jeremy Secomb
Think of Me: Harriet Jones
Angel of Music (The Mirror): Layla Harrison, Olivia Brereton, Sean Palmer
The Phantom of the Opera: Harriet Jones, Geronimo Rauch
The Music of the Night: Geronimo Rauch 
I Remember/Stranger Than You Dreamt It: Harriet Jones, Geronimo Rauch
Notes/Prima Donna: Lara Martins, Jeremy Secomb, Jacinta Mulcahy, 
All I Ask Of You: Olivia Brereton and Antony Hansen
I Gave You My Music: Jeremy Secomb
Twisted Every Way: Harriet Jones
The Graveyard: Olivia Brereton
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again: Olivia Brereton
Wandering Child/Bravo Monsieur: Geronimo Rauch, Olivia Brereton, Sean Palmer
The Point of No Return: Geronimo Rauch, Harriet Jones
Final Lair: Geronimo Rauch, Olivia Brereton, Antony Hansen

Well, that's everything. Hope you enjoyed, and hope every has a fabulous Christmas!
Lots of Love,
Elizabeth xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment