Sunday 3 November 2013

The Phantom of the Opera (Nov. 2, 2013)



The Phantom of the Opera

This will be a very brief little review; I mostly saw the same cast as in the October 31 review, so this review just covers the new Christine and a bit more on Jeremy. 

Harriet Jones
(Phantom Website)
I want to try to avoid a comparison of Harriet to Olivia. I don’t think that’s fair to either of them, as they are such incredibly different Christines. Yes, I’m more partial to one than the other and of course I have comparisons in my head, but for the purposes of this review I’d like to try and treat Harriet as an individual as opposed to one of many Christines, because she’s really quite different from any of the Christines I remember seeing. The first thing I’d like to talk about Harriet is her voice. It’s incredibly strong, and as far as I can tell, essentially perfect. There isn’t a moment where you doubt she’ll be able to hit the notes, no matter what she’s doing at the time. I did like her voice quite a lot, but what I found about Harriet was that she was most in character when she let her voice go a bit. Songs like Think of Me were nicely done, but completely vocally dependent. Because of this, I didn’t expect much different from the rest of the songs, so I was pleasantly surprised for Twisted Every Way. She stopped just singing it and really got into the character. I honestly think that was Harriet’s best moment in the show. The Final Lair was similar; not quite as effective, but very nearly there. I saw glimmers of this as well in Wishing and Past the Point of No Return, and I think that given a few months she’ll get more comfortable with the role, and be able to bring what she did to Twisted and Final Lair to all of the songs. While I’m not in a massive rush to see her again, I’m definitely hoping to see her in January or February. I think Harriet has a lot of potential to be a very strong Christine, and I’m excited to see that. I don’t really have a lot more to say about Harriet; she was nice overall, and I look forward to seeing her Christine grow over the next few months. She’s also a very nice person; she was lovely enough to let us see her dressing room and her costumes (best.day.ever).

Jeremy Secomb and I
I did mention Jeremy in my last review, but I felt the need to mention him again in this one (It’s typical; in 12 years and 9 shows I never saw the same Phantom twice, and now in the space of three days that streak was broken). I really, really like Jeremy. He’s actually starting to remind me of Hugh Panaro; he’s got an extremely violent and reckless Final Lair, and I love it! In my mind, the Phantom is pretty crazy, and I always want Christine to stay with Raoul (I’ve never been “team Erik”). The absolute madness in the Final Lair is perfect for showing this. At the same time though, the way he does the Lair also makes you feel a bit sorry for the Phantom, because obviously he’s devastated that Christine is leaving him. Jeremy actually had a line flub in the Final Lair, but as it’s only his third show and he recovered immediately (if you didn’t know the song, you wouldn’t’ve noticed), I’ve got no issues with that. I honestly don’t mind line flubs/other accidents in general as long as there is a strong recovery. Jeremy didn’t miss a beat, so good for him. I also need to mention his bit at the end of All I Ask of You; he stands right up in that Angel, and it’s so intimidating and magnificent at the same time. Really enjoyed Jeremy’s Phantom, and I really hope to see it again!

Layla Harrison and I 
That's basically all I need to say about Phantom; everything else is covered in my other review. There weren't any major bloopers aside from the line fluff, and Stage Door was fun (as usual) but not as exciting as Thursday's. Hope you enjoyed the brief review :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment