Friday 28 June 2013

Wicked (Wednesday June 26th 2013)

WICKED
This will be a very brief review; I've already written a very detailed review for this exact cast; please see that review if you want a detailed review.

Gina Beck as Glinda
Gina Beck and Louise Dearman were, as last time, flawless. I can't gush about either of them enough. Gina captures everything that G(a)linda is and more. I was sobbing within the first four minutes of the show thanks to her, and while her voice maybe isn't 'perfect', I think it fits the character beautifully, I highly doubt any other G(a)linda will be able to surpass or even equal her performance. What I love about Gina is that she captures the Galinda character and the Glinda character equally well. All other G(a)lindas I have seen have had no problem with Galinda, but struggle to grasp the change that occurs in Glinda. Gina, for lack of a better phrase, knocks it out of the park. 


Louise Dearman as Elphaba
Louise is a marvellous Elphaba; I'm terribly sad that she will be replaced by Willemijn Verkaik, who is very good but nothing special or captivating. Louise is fantastic; her voice is perfect for Elphaba (so powerful and passionate), and her No Good Deed made me cry. The way she moves while she sings is so real and so natural, which I find many other Elphabas lack. Their movements are stiff and unnatural, and the character mirrors that. Louise is Elphaba, just as much as Gina is G(a)linda, and I will sorely miss her when she's gone. I'm hoping to be able to see her again at the end of October. If I can't... well, I hope she comes back to the show soon. She's incredible, and I adore her Elphaba. (Also, I've finally stopped calling her Rachel Tucker).


Ben Freeman as Fiyero
Ben Freeman is not my favourite Fiyero. I usually fall in love with and want to marry most Fiyeros I see around the time they save the Lion cub. Not so much with Ben. He's not particularly attractive (not ugly, just not Max Irons good looking. Although at least he looks good in the Fiyero Pants. As much as I love Norbert Leo Butz, he could not pull off those pants), and I find his voice highly irritating. There's nothing smooth or enthralling about it; nothing that makes you want to hang on his every word. I do think he's a good actor; his Fiyero was believable, if not likeable. He got the attitude at the beginning right, and transitioned quite nicely to the more sensitive, caring Fiyero. I have to admit, I teared up a bit when he said "It's not lying. It's looking at things a different way." 

Katie Rowley Jones as
Nessarose
When it comes to Nessarose, in the seven casts I've seen, she has always been played by a Catherine or a Katie. The first show that it's not a Catherine or a Katie I might cry. Katie Rowley Jones is a nice Nessa; she's not extraordinary (my personal favourite is still Catherine Charlebois) and I feel like she lacks some passion and emotion during the climax of The Wicked Witch of the East, which is one of my favourite songs (also, I so badly want to re-choreograph that bit. I love the song, but the staging is so wrong). I also think she looks a little old for Nessarose; it might just be her face structure, but I always like to see more youthful looking Nessas, which makes Governor-Nessa all the more shocking. But overall, Katie was lovely, and I do enjoy her portrayal.



I think that basically covers everything, if you want to hear about the show in general, the set, the lighting/costume/makeup/hair design, anyother actors, etc. you can check out this review: http://strangerthanyoudreamt.blogspot.fr/2013/04/wicked-thursday-april-25th-2013.html or ask me any questions you have on Twitter! (@ElizabethRGFS)

No comments:

Post a Comment