Friday 16 November 2012

Stage Door in the West End


My Experiences at Stage Door
The whole reason I wanted to go to London during my school break was the presence of some of my favourite actresses. I found out that after the show, there was this thing called 'Stage Door' where the actors came out, and you could meet them and get autographs there. So I figured I would give it a try.

I'm a very shy, quiet, socially fearful person. I always overanalyze things that I say or do, and people in general make me nervous. Famous people are no exception. 

Les Miserables
This was my first time every at Stage Door, and I was shaking rather badly with nerves and excitement. When Sierra Boggess walked out of the door, I may have lost my head a little, squealing to my dad "It's her! I can't believe it's really her!" I was standing next to a women who seemed to have done this many times, so when Sierra had signed her programs, I said, "Excuse Me, May I have your autograph?" I guess I wasn't loud enough, because she walked away to go deal with this guy who had about twenty photos, all needing to be signed for 'Stephen'. The guy didn't seem to speak English, as he was holding up little papers to ask her questions. So I went to stand next to this guy and asked again. I can't remember exactly what she said, but I said something along the lines of "You were so amazing! We came just to see you!" And she said something along the lines of "Wow". Afterwards, I had a bit of a panic attack, worried that I'd said the wrong thing, or embarrassed myself, or been too pushy, or to fan-girly. But I am glad that I went. I also got Tam Mutu's autograph; he was super nice and not scary at all. I wish I'd gotten a picture with one of them, but I was way too pent up and overtired (yes, at the same time) to think of it at the time. 

The Phantom of the Opera
This was a much less scary experience. First of all, I was one of many waiting for Anna O'Byrne at Stage Door. I talked a little to two British girls around my age who were worried they wouldn't recognize her. We didn't wait for very long, and as soon as Anna walked out, she saw us and walked straight to us. She basically started from one end, so I was third in the line. I gave her my program and asked for a picture, but I guess I was so overexcited that I forgot to say something. So I was about to walk away when I added "Thank you so much! You were fabulous!" Again, I feel like I said something wrong, or at the wrong time, but such is the life of being a socially awkward person. Most people wouldn't give it a second thought. She was so friendly though; every autograph she signed, she asked for the person's name, and made them feel like not just some random fan (or Phan?). Also, can I add that she's even more stunning in person than on stage? Seriously, what I wouldn't give to be that beautiful, and that talented...

So those are my experiences at Stage Door! I had a good time and I would definitely go to SD again (hopefully less nervous next time!). I still want to shoot myself in the head when I think about what I said and how I acted; I wish I had said the right things and that I hadn't felt so embarrassed, but such is life. I'm glad I went, and I'd do it again. 

Anna O'Byrne and I at Stage Door after Phantom!

No comments:

Post a Comment